Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Misdirection is Rush's Magic

I was helping my friend, the Coach out as he was renovating some of his rental property today. As I tried to engage him in discussions, he would interrupt with "What about this Democrat" or "What about that Democrat" regurgitating stories he heard today on the Rush Limbaugh show of which he is an avid listener.
I am not a liberal nor am I a conservative. I don't believe in the Republicans nor I do I believe in the Democrats. I believe that while there may good people on both sides of the aisle, The party leaderships of both of them have sold America out a long time ago. And this is always the point I try to engage the Coach in, and once I am able to snap him out of his daily brainwashing, he will agree with me.
What Rush does is merely misdirection. A story comes up in the Korporate media that sheds unfavorable light on a member of the Republican party, and Rush will say, "What about this sleazeball Democrat?" And because his listeners are brainwashed conservatives of very limited attention spans, they say to themselves, "Yeah, what about this sleazeball Democrat?" and forget all about the scumbag Republican. And then the Dittoheads forget all about how one of their own is a scumbag and have ammunition to fire at liberal acquaintances. And neither of the brainwashed have the ability to be objective and say, "Hey, wait a minute, they're all fucking us!"
Rush also has a litany of liberal buttons to push to get his listeners riled up about when a Republican actually admits a mistake. Pop! Teddy Kennedy. Pop! Jesse Jackson. Pop! Hillary Clinton. Pop! Louis Farrakhan. He even tries to justify racism by saying it's not as bad as it is in other countries. That there should be no racism in this country at all, especially from our leadership, is beside the point.
I hope someday that the brainwashed will realize that what we need is not party loyalty, or ideological loyalty, but fidelity to the people of this country alone. Hopefully then, they will ditch both parties and seek out the candidates who don't stand firm on non-issues like abortion or gun control, rather stand firm on bringing the country together and creating the great country our Founding Fathers envisioned when they wrote the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
Which is what Rush Limbaugh is trying to prevent.

No comments: