Friday, January 27, 2006

All This ranting and Nothing About Bush Appointing the Prosecutor In the Abramoff Case To A Federal Judgeship

My kids were over tonight, watching Revenge of the Sith for the thousandth time while I fixed supper, when I heard something that struck a note with me. Chancellor Palpatine, after being rescued by Obi wan and Anakin while being held hostage by General Grievous and Count Dooku, remarks after the escape of grievous "As long as he's(grievous) on the loose, the Galactic Senate will support the war." And that is why, if Osama is alive (which, he isn't) Bush still wouldn't try to capture him for as long as he remains at large, the majority of American masses will cower in fear and submit their rights for the "War on Terror".
No, this isn't going to be one of those posts where someone points up the eerie similarities between Revenge Of The Sith and the Bush administration. Or how the Imperial presidency that Bush is creating is like the Empire set up by Palpatine. It is about how fear is a major part of the propaganda campaign used to keep the sheeple in line. Anytime Bush gets caught violating the Constitution, he invokes 9/11 or Bin Laden releases another audio tape from beyond the grave to keep the masses quivering with fear.
For the past week or so, I've been offline, and all I've seen and heard is endless propaganda in the corporate media. From this weekend's hot new box office release, Annapolis, (which looks to me to be a pointles remake of An Officer and a Gentleman, Americans mind so lacking imagination that they'll watch a bad remake of a bad movie rather than try to challenge their minds with something new and different) another in a long line of recent movies portraying the military as noble, when in fact, there is nothing noble in committing torture.
As the President toured the country, trying to get the masses behind his illegal surveillance program, the local morning radio show (syndicated in other markets now) defending the crimes by raising the spectre of "terrorists". Of course, you not supposed to ask yourself, "If these are terrorists Bush is spying on, then why does he feel that the courts wouldn't give him wiretaps?" Maybe it's because as Anakin says to Obi Wan right before their long and drawn out light saber battle "Either you are with me, or you are my enemy" and since the war protestors aren't with Bush, that gives him the right to categorize them as enemies. Needless to say, I no longer listen to that radio show (they're called Free Beer and Hot Wings and they suck!)
Then of course there's the Winter Olympics! Nothing better to get the flag waving started than ice dancing! I'm just pissed because I know that my two favorite new shows are on the network carrying them so that means two weeks where my set won't be turned on at all. Makes me wish that the American team got it's ass walloped just so all the official sponsors that laid off workers to have more money to offer lucrative endorsement deals to burn out snow boarders end up having to lay off the Second Executive Vice President In Charge Of Bad Business Decisions. I know, that's mean, these people work real hard to go somewhere and become a distraction for those people who work real hard and get nowhere.
Then there was the blatant fear mongering. Iran was developing nuclear weapons. Sorry folks, but that was a lie. Iran was building a nuclear power plant and now even Bush backs a Russian plan for enriching uranium in Russia, thereby preventing the waste from getting into the hands of those who would want to develop nuclear arms. Oh well, maybe it's time to focus on Syria until another reason to attack Iran comes up. (I mean besides the one where they start trading oil in euros instead of dollars, just like Saddam did right before we set our sights on him)
Maybe that's where Osama comes in. Even after declaring six months after 9/11 "I don't know where Osama is. I don't know and I don't care. he's not that important."Bush will surely get another audio tape of Osama saying "I'm in Iran now and you can't get me! Nyahh nyahh nyahh nyahh nyahh nyahh!"

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has been discussed on a few blogs, also check out "Deep Thought" when time permits, Eli Blake's blog. I never miss his posts. He is awesome.(ON LTN blogroll) "Weapons of Mass Distraction" is another I think you'll like if you haven't gotten there. Been very busy lately-check in this weekend. Did you get a chance to catch up on all you've missed????
You raised some good points in your comment by the way, there are some responses to it.

Neil Shakespeare said...

Sounds like old Osama's gonna have lots of places to hide over there pretty soon. When Democracy really takes hold, as per George's masterplan, he'll be lauded as a hero in Iraq, Iran, Palestine, Syria, Lebanon...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. You're certainly right that there doesn't seem to be any opposition party anymore. Got you bookmarked and I'll link you when I next change my template. Best...

Anonymous said...

Neil has an awesome blog- love it. He's another on my daily round.

It seems that you already have two blogs, and this one is getting some new readers. Maybe for simplicity we should leave it as it is. When people check your profile to visit they can come here, instead of having to choose- people often visit for reciprocity.

Lew Scannon said...

Neil,
Bookmarked you as well and intend on adding you to my blogroll as well. Thanks for shopping!

Anonymous said...

Lew: Senate Fax numbers at Night Bird's Fountain FYI!!!

Anonymous said...

I've heard the government has started blogs so that they can gather intel on those they oppose, or who oppose them. It has been said that they usually start liberal blogs to bring in as many "fish" as possible. Sort of like fishing with a net. It's scary.

Lew Scannon said...

Let them gather all the "intel" they want, as you can see, there's not much here to gather!

Lily said...

It would serve their purposes more if we were silent, no? Scared? Paranoid?

They know who I am already, trust me. If they want me they know where I am, I do not hide and I do not speak openly because I am on a blog, I speak this way everywhere.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a pretty time consuming scheme anyway, doesn't it Lew sweetie?
:)

Lew Scannon said...

Yeah, a giant waste of tax payers'money.........just like the war in Iraq. But it's not their money, right?