Sunday, October 15, 2006

Don't Put Your Eggs In One Basket

A lot of concerned Americans are looking to this fall's midterm elections to change the course of the country. They feel that the current Republican majority under President Bush has taken the country far from it roots as a democracy and one step closer to a dictatorship. The current government has engaged our military in needless wars of choice, as well as showing disdain for any sort of diplomacy at all. And so these concerned citizens have placed their faith in a Democratic majority in changing all the detriment caused by the Republican leadership in the last six years. I say, don't hold your fucking breath.
A release by Nancy Pelosi of what Democrats plan to do in their first 100 hours includes a lot of nice token gestures to "the little people", raise the mininum wage, cut the interest rates on student loans, and work to lower prescription drug prices for Medicare patients. They also plan to put new rules in play to "break the link between lobbyists and legislature", as well as enacting all the recommendations made by the commission that investigated 9/11.
Well, what about Iraq? Or, more importantly, what about Iran? Will the Democrats pressure Bush into calling off the planned attack against Iran, or will they allow it to move forward? It seems the the Democratic leadership is putting it's money behind the candidates who oppose pulling out of Iraq. And now, potential Democrat candidate for president, Hillary Clinton, after saying no to torture has reversed her position, and said stated she is okay with torture.
The Longhouse Coalition has a list of things that the Democrats won't be doing, that they probably should:
impeachment of Bush and Cheney, reversal of the fascist Military Tribunal Act or the Patriot Acts, demands for documents from the White House so that Congressional oversight can be exercised, demands that the signing statements, which render Congress irrelevant, be stopped- in short, Pelosi and the Dems have NO PLANS to seriously challenge the Bush White House reign of terror vs. the American people.

Nothing about changing the tax laws back to reverse the flow of $$$ from poor to rich people, or restoring the privilege of bankruptcy. Nothing about restoring environmental protections. Nothing about withdrawal from Iraq, nothing about ensuring that Iran is not bombed gratuitously.

In short, the Democrats are just as much a part of the corporatocracy as the Republicans. It was a Democrat controlled congress that repealed the act that called for equal time on America's airwaves, which has led to the proliferation of Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity-types to permeate our airwaves. And it was a Democrat controlled congress that passed NAFTA, which was signed into law by a Democrat president, against the desires of a majority of American, that has allowed a mass hemorrhaging of manufacturing jobs out of this country. And while I would agree with most people's assessment of the Democrats as being the lesser-of-two-evils, the lesser of two evils is still evil.

12 comments:

Yukkione said...

the opposition party is a quant concept now.. Onnly five media conglomorates own all the media and the people are dull witted and ill informed. So continues the long downward spiral.

Peacechick Mary said...

One change I'm looking forward to is the ability to yell at my congressional rep knowing that I can get through to them. Now, all I have is a stone wall.

Frederick said...

I'm right this minute waiting for a call back from the Democrat running for the congressional seat in our district, and his response to my questions about his suppossed support for the military commission act. I'm not holding my breath--and I'm not righting anything more positive about him untill I hear something.

Anonymous said...

AMEN!! I just wish we had more options. This two party monopoly has us all screwed!! When the two parties collude to keep third party candidates like Ralph Nader out of the debates (he has a ticket and was excluded from the AUDIENCE of the 2000 debate) we all suffer. Oh no, people might LIKE what he has to say!! Can't have that!! Can't have the camera span on him in the audience. Someone might decide to visit his website and *gasp* VOTE for him!!

I did get a 3 page letter in response to an e-mail I sent to my Dem Rep Dennis Moore (asshat voted FOR torture). He has lost my vote. It seems he was a bit bothered by that given the 3 pages of piss poor excuses he gave in his letter.

I'm tired of voting against rather than voting for.

(sorry for the rant. great blog!!).

azgoddess said...

clap clap clap - dems = reps -- they're all rich

what we need is a third party - of the people, for the people and by the people...to take back this country!!

Kathy said...

Your assessment is right, but the most immediate issue right now (IMHO) is taking back some control in Washington. The Dems are no angels, but without some counterbalance what hope is there.

If the Dems succeed in taking back Congress, then our job is to keep their feet to the fire so to speak and hold them accountable. They'll be looking to 2008 and that gives us a little leverage.

Anonymous said...

Pam,

Well put.

I am tired of voting against instead of voting for.

Kathy, I am not so sure if I agree. I am seriously thinking of abadoning the voting this year. I don't believe that we can hold their feet to the fire or make them do anything.

If they are an anti-war candidate, they get my vote.

If they are Republican Lite, they can just keep on losing until they realize that we demand real change, not just lip service.

I would rather see the perverted GOPers ruin the country than watch it slip away under sissy Dems.

Anonymous said...

I like the way you think, Karena! Republican Lite (Like Liebs) can go the way of their friends.

Anonymous said...

...reversal of the fascist Military Tribunal Act or the Patriot Acts

Even more important--damaging to Bu$hCo and important for America--would be to revoke the Sept. 14th, 2001 war powers resolution, upon which Bu$hCo bases most of it's executive power grabs.

sumo said...

Well...I'm voting for and against and hoping for the best. And that means I am hoping they don't cheat.

pissed off patricia said...

I cannot believe it could get any worse if the right Dems are in office. Maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I do remember the way things were when Clinton was in office. We didn't torture people then.

DivaJood said...

Lew, it is true, the lesser of two evils is still evil. Still, I will vote Democratic. At least I get a response from my Democratic representatives, when I contact them.

But right now, I am leaning toward acts of civil disobedience.