Wednesday, November 03, 2010

No, I Didn't Vote

That's right, I didn't vote. I refused to participate in the Corporate Idiocracy charade of the-lesser-of-two evils where either side argues about which side is better like a couple of High School students debating the merits of one mass produced beer over the other. I looked at both sides of the coin and decided that beyond the empty platitudes launched to entice me to spend my one vote on them, there wasn't really any difference.
Maybe I've been burned before. I remember voting Democratic in 2006, on the hope that they would bring about an end to the wars in the Middle East. Nope. Didn't happen. Maybe they'd hold the incumbent administration responsible for acts of malfeasance perpetrated by those at the highest level. Instead, almost immediately, impeachment was taken off the table.
In that time, despite their general incompetence at being able to accomplish anything beyond deciding the best way to repair our health care system was to tax my work-related health benefits as income. Huh? Leadership? No, just mindless water-treading, pretending to serve people like me while assuming the position for their corporate masters.
And speaking of being one of me (of which there is only), who do the Republicans think they're fooling. I'm not a soulless money grubbing thick-headed Islamophobe who thinks the world would be a better place if we enslaved everybody under the capitalist system. I do not drive my gas guzzling Sport Utility Behemoth to an energy inefficient McMansion in a gated community in the suburbs. I work a cruddy job for crappy pay and am happy about it because the alternative is giving my soul to a corporation that would gladly chop me off at the knees if it meant another thousand bucks in that year end bonus for the people at the top.
I don't care if some sport team from a college I never attended makes the play-offs, how cute Bristol Palin is on Dancing With The Stars, or the latest patented "outrageous" outfit worn by Lady Gaga to obscure the fact that her music is pedestrian and ordinary. Don't lump me in with you. Please.
So, I didn't vote, and looking at the latest returns, there wasn't one candidate I may possibly could have hoped to maybe win that lost by one vote. And before you tell me that if more people who didn't vote had gone out and made the effort, it could have changed the outcome, I say if more people would ween themselves from the Republican/Democratic Corporate Axis Of Evil, we could have one great country.
So you can go ahead and con yourself into thinking that you're "trying to make difference" by aiding and abetting the status quo, but the truth is as long as we keep enabling the Corporate Idiocracy, the longer we all will have to suffer.

6 comments:

Agi said...

word that to!

Tom Harper said...

I always vote, but I doubt if it really makes any difference. It's more just a reflex than anything else. I agree with the old saying, "If voting made any difference, they wouldn't allow it."

libhom said...

You could have voted Green.

S.W. Anderson said...

Well, I guess you showed 'em.

Dave Dubya said...

I can't believe what I'm seeing here. I had always thought you understood the world better. Gaga is a real talent.

John Myste said...

Voting for the lesser of two evils is not submitting to the system, sir. Not voting for the lesser of two evils is casting an implicit vote for the greater of two evils. Never in the history of voting as the vote been cast for the perfect man. A measure of evil defines us, and politicians are not renounced for rising above it.

If you feel corporations are controlling both candidates, then your vote is the last thing corporations want. Not voting is letting them have it, but not metaphorically. Literally.

To this end, I have decided to vote in the next election. It is time.